A friend posted about how the current President gets so upset about what he thinks of as “fake” news.” I think it is important to state that I didn’t vote for him or Clinton – I voted a different party. That is the change we really need – to get past this divisive mentality embodied in the two-party system. It sets up a no-win situation, where there is always a “loser”. But I’m starting to see some good out of what has happened because people are starting to wake up and realize that the government cannot take care of them. People are taking matters into their own hands in a healthy and healing way.
Here was my response to him –
“It all seems fake to him because he’s being fed lies by his cronies. There is evidence that he not only does not, but cannot read. This means he is incapable of getting first-hand information. It is all pre-digested for him. I no longer think of him as evil. Just very sad and mislead. Pray for him.”
One of his friends (unknown to me) was freaked out that I suggested we pray for him, saying that we all needed to be prayed for instead. I replied that Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies.
While meditating on this, I read the Catholic readings for the day, and all three that were for the afternoon spoke to this.
17 “You must not harbor hatred against your brother. Rebuke your neighbor directly, and you will not incur guilt because of him. 18 Do not take revenge or bear a grudge against members of your community, but love your neighbor as yourself; I am Yahweh.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17
16 Don’t you yourselves know that you are God’s sanctuary and that the Spirit of God lives in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s sanctuary, God will destroy him; for God’s sanctuary is holy, and that is what you are.
38 “You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. 39 But I tell you, don’t resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 As for the one who wants to sue you and take away your shirt, let him have your coat as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and don’t turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. 43 “You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing out of the ordinary? Don’t even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Another friend shared this, and there is a lot of truth to it. This is copied from a writer named Susan Keller. I have edited out the snarky bits. What is left shows how much people are waking up.
“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it looks like Trump is actually making America great again. Just look at the progress made since the election:
– Unprecedented levels of ongoing civic engagement.
– Millions of Americans now know who their state and federal representatives are without having to Google.
– Millions of Americans are exercising more. They’re holding signs and marching every week.
– The Postal Service is enjoying the influx cash due to stamps purchased by millions of people for letter and postcard campaigns.
– Millions of Americans now know how to call their elected officials and know exactly what to say to be effective.
– Everyone knows more about the rise of Hitler than they did last year.
– Everyone knows more about legislation, branches of power and how checks and balances work. – Marginalized groups are experiencing a surge in white allies.
– White people in record numbers have just learned that racism is not dead.
– “Mike Pence” has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood since Nov. 9th.
– Travel ban protesters put $24 million into ACLU coffers in just 48 hours, enabling them to hire 200 more attorneys. Lawyers are now heroes.
– As people seek veracity in their news sources, respected news outlets are happily reporting a substantial increase in subscriptions, a boon to a struggling industry vital to our democracy.
– Live streaming court cases and congressional sessions are now popular.
– Massive cleanup of Facebook friend lists.
– People are reading classic literature again. Sales of George Orwell’s “1984” increased by 10,000% after the inauguration.
– More than ever before, Americans are aware that education is important.”
My take is that the best thing we can do is to pay attention to what is going on and be active. Not reactive – because to react is to let “them” set the pace. Don’t let them rule the dance. Look for what is broken, who is hurting. Go help them. We’ve long said that the government is too involved in our lives. This is a great opportunity to take control back. Instead of the government taking care of the sick, elderly, poor, homeless – we need to do this, through churches and other civic organizations. Don’t worry about government funding for Planned Parenthood – make it private. Then there will no longer be a debate from some that their money is going to something they don’t agree with. We need to decentralize everything.
Perhaps the nomination to be the Secretary of Education of a person who has nothing to do with public education is a good thing. We have a broken system, with children who are not able to get a job or even think on their own. Currently, children learn to read well enough to memorize test answers. This leaves them unprepared for adult life. Parents who can afford to send their children to private schools because they are seen as better. So why not take the template of the private schools and put it on the public one? Now – and this is critical – it must not be religious-based (unless it covers all faiths).
Better than that – let’s start reading again. I don’t mean current fiction. I mean non-fiction, things that make us think. We’ve spent too long escaping life and not facing it. We’ve spent too long asleep. Go to your local library and support it. Get together with people and discuss what you are learning.
Worried about your health-care? Go for a walk or to the gym. Eat the healthiest food you can. Learn to cook.
This entire debacle has caused us to stop thinking of the government as our savior. This is a good thing.
(All Bible verses are HCSB)
You must be logged in to post a comment.